Friday, January 29, 2021

#21: Christian + Hopeful met Ignorance, from Conceit, + asked, ‘Why did you not enter through the Gate? ‘Too far to go; I’ll follow my own religion.’ His reply exposed himself =‘Wise in his own conceit’+ they parted. But ignorance remained with them, for they soon ignored the very map + warnings they’d been given. 1st: they saw Turn-Away, from Apostasy, bound + carried by 7 devils back to the door to hell they’d seen. 2nd: they remembered Little-faith, from Sincere, who’d been attacked, robbed, and beaten there by 3 rogues: Faintheart +Mistrust +Guilt, but rescued by Great-grace, the King’s Champion. 3rd: they ‘came at a place that seemed to lie as straight as the way which they should go; + here they knew not which of the 2 to take, for both seemed straight before them.’ They forgot to heed truth, but followed Flatterer’s directions along a twisting route, turned from their destination, caught + entangled in a net of confusion. Mercifully,a Shining One freed + set them back on the right path. + 4th: they ‘perceived afar off, one all alone with his back to Zion’ coming to meet them. Now more wary, they recognized Atheist, who ‘fell into a great laughter’ when they told him they were going to the Celestial City. ‘There is no such place as you dream of in all this world. I once believed so, but I’ve been seeking this city for 20 years, longer than you, and find no more of it than I did the 1st day I set out. I’m going back again + will seek to refresh myself with the things I then cast away. I can no longer believe in what I cannot see.’ Christian looked to Hopeful: ‘Is that true?’ but Hopeful admonished his brother: ‘Didn’t we see the city gates from the Delectable Mountains? We’re to walk by faith. Stop listening to his lies! + Christian rejoiced: ‘I asked only because I wanted to hear the truth from you! Let’s go on together.’ And so once again in this journey – this revelation: 2 together are better than 1 alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment