Monday, January 18, 2021

#14: Christian now must descend into the Valley of Humiliation. ‘It is a hard matter to go down + not slip.’ Every person must pass here in life’s journey + if we do not willingly humble ourselves, we will indeed be humiliated. Here he meets Apollyon + with no armour for his back, Christian faces the demon’s 7 arguments head-on: 1 You are my subject still X No. I was, but now I belong completely to another! 2 I promise to treat you fairly if you come back X But I am no longer yours + I cannot/will not come back! 3 Just like all others, you will come back to me in the end X No. I have sworn my allegiance to Him alone! 4 You betrayed me, but I’m willing to forgive X No, I do not trust your promises. I am now Christ’s! 5 Pilgrims always come to an ill end X No. My Prince shares His glory with all followers, including me! 6 You’ve already been unfaithful to Him + lost your reward X True, but My Prince is merciful! 7 In your heart, you’re really selfish: even proud of being a pilgrim! X Yes, but I am pardoned! And so they battled long: Apollyon blocked his way, attacked with fiery darts + so wounded Christian in head+hand+foot that he began to despair of life. But almost at his last gasp, Christian grasped… his sword, gave him a deadly thrust + Apollyon fled. The spiritual parallels are unmistakeable. I'm sure we can all relate! Satan attacks our minds/hearts, but when we submit to God + resist him with the sword of the Spirit = the Word of God, we overcome + he flees. Christian's wounds were then healed from leaves of the Tree of Life -rested/refreshed! And so are we. God never leaves us in this valley; He brings us through to the other side - victorious overcomers!

No comments:

Post a Comment