Thursday, July 22, 2010

IN HIS TIME -Part 1

“To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die; plant + reap; kill + heal; break down + build up;
weep + laugh; mourn + dance; cast + gather stones; embrace + refrain; gain + lose;
hold on + let go; rip out + mend; shut up + speak up; love + hate;
A time for war and a time of peace.” (Eccles 3:1-11)
Bob Dylan set these words to music and The Byrds had us singing them in the ‘60s, but I doubt many realized they were singing God’s Word. We thought them paradoxical but catchy, words for a time of change. “Turn, turn, turn,” was our cry for revolution in society, but it was really God’s call for repentance in the human heart. It’s amazing how confused we are sometimes, understanding so little of even what we say we want.
We know little of either the times or seasons of the heart.
I used to think timing was important. Now I’m convinced: it’s absolutely crucial!

The Preacher goes on to say, “He has made everything beautiful in its time.” (v 11)
But when is ‘its time’? How can we truly know when something is in or out of season?
And who determines what really is the ‘right season’?
I might think it fits perfectly, but later find out it’s completely out of sync.
I might think I have a sure-fire prophetic word for someone; but a good word must be spoken at the right time in the right spirit or… it may be pathetic, more than prophetic.
‘A word spoken in its time, how good it is!’ (Pro 15:23) But at the wrong time? ...devastating!

We need to know ‘His’ Time. The One who created everything in the first place is also the One who is able to bring it forth to fulfill its purpose at the right time. If He is able to make it,
He can also make it beautiful in the time for which it’s created.
And even if I make a mistake, God can take what the enemy intends for evil or my blunder, and make it good. (Gen 50:20) He works all things together for good to those who love Him, those called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28).
Yeah, but sometimes that takes longer than I think it should!.. and that’s where timing comes in.

I remember arriving one Sunday morning for early prayer in a church we were interim pastoring. Things were in flux; change was in the air; our future was unclear and unsettled, but a sense of excitement and beckoning adventure pervaded in my spirit. I was there first, and when I opened the door and turned on the light, I saw 3 doors standing before me on the school stage, probably props for a play practice. My first thought was: “Which one, Lord?” as in, “Which door-choice is the right one for me to walk through?”
Ever notice how the Lord often speaks when you least expect Him?
Well, without any effort at listening, I immediately heard Him say so clearly,
“They’re all right, but in My time!”
Startled, I looked again more closely at these 3 doors and wondered what future opportunities they represented. Were they 3 specific decisions, relationships, events? Narrow doors often lead into larger rooms. Were these possibly future limitations to prepare me for further service and enlargement? Jesus is the Door. We just need to discern which one... in His time.

1Chron 12:32 describes sons of Issachar who came to David at Hebron before he was king of all Israel. They even went against the popular flow, because they ‘had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do.’ Historical hindsight is good if we learn from it, but foresight is preferable. It discerns and reveals the wisdom and godly character to know not only the right thing, but also the right time, so we don’t live life in ‘should-have’s.’

Few in history have found their time to be His or His Time to be theirs.
Jesus came ‘in the fullness of time’ (Gal 4:4), neither too early, nor too late.
He came exactly at the right time.
21st Century North American pragmatism would counter that He should have come in our day. He could have reached so many more millions! More people are alive today; our advanced technology and communications could reach them more effectively; He’d be seen world-wide, not just in tiny Judea. But the Bible says He came at the right time! Jesus knew who He was and He knew His time. Some still think He comes at the wrong time...too late.
Someone who knows their time as His and His as theirs is in step with God and His Purpose.
Those who do not are only trying to prove something.

Jesus didn’t have anything to prove. His first sermon was seed for all future messages and ministry:
“The time is fulfilled, - all OT prophecies about future time were now complete in Him
and the kingdom of God is at hand.” (Mark 1:15)
In other words, “Don’t put it off; drop everything else and receive the kingdom NOW!
It’s right here, don’t wait for another! The King is here! So is His kingdom, it’s for you, NOW! Don’t doubt, reach out, take it to heart! Here it is! Believe… You got it!”
This was Jesus’ essential message both then and now. Unfortunately, many people today respond the same way as some did then: “We believe in the kingdom, but it’s not time yet. It doesn’t fit our theology or our understanding. Maybe some of it is 'already'? But how much is 'not yet'? Probably more the latter: just look how much power the devil still has!”
And they spent their time debating, disputing, arguing while Jesus went about doing good to all: healing, setting captives free, manifesting the kingdom regardless of their unbelief!
Just like He does today!

Actually, the first to recognize Jesus for who He was were demons. They identified Him as the Son of God before His own people did, and added,
“Have you come here to torment us before the time?” (Matt 8:29)
Jesus never let devils tell Him what time it was, especially when it was their time to be cast out.
He replied, “You’re twisted! You’re no longer in control here to say who is going to torment who for how long. I AM HERE NOW. The power of my kingdom is NOW and your time to leave is NOW. Don’t argue ...GO!”
They had no choice: they went. Their time had come.
Jesus said, “If I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you.” (Matt 12:28)
Note the past perfect tense. The demons did.
It is finished! And so are they. Time’s up; the King is Here! Everything else? Out!

Jesus wept over Jerusalem,
“If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace!
But now they are hidden from your eyes.
…because you did not know the time of your visitation.” (Luke 19:41, 44)
Even at His most difficult time, Jesus knew His Time and Purpose: who He was and what He had to do. The very night He was arrested,
‘when Jesus knew that his hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.’(Jn 13:1)
He was not intimidated by the accusations of this world, overcome by its threats, nor defeated by its reactions.
He overcame and because He did, we are!
"Excuse me...can you tell me what time it is?"

4 comments:

  1. This is great! I have sure had some doors come to me before and I am still awaiting on His time. I am realizing more and more to wait on Him. I love the part you said about Jesus came at the right time. It tells me that I have been born for such a time as this. God assures me that he holds my destiny. Bless You Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very relevant with what is happeningin my life now.

    Dave
    www.abbotsford-realestate.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff!!
    The time is now.I love the fact that we are in christ and the time to go is now.I just brought my youth group to the mall and we seen the fullness of time touch non belivers.I love this stuff.Bless you henry.

    ReplyDelete